I set up an account in Twitter this evening, my Twitter name is my23things. I personalized it and changed the look of my page. I joined some groups. I added a photo image. I also put a widget on my blog. I also posted a comment and asked a question. It will be interesting to see if I get a dialogue started--I asked what links librarians are using most often. We often used Kent District Library's What Next site.
I think I fall into the hate it category of Twitter users. I'm a little too independent to be feeling like people are keeping tabs on me! When ICQ technology first came out (what, ten or more years ago?!) I was excited for the first few weeks. And then I started to feel that it was very annoying to have others know I was online and want to chat. I didn't have time for that and pretty quickly deleted the program from my computer. Twitter reminds me of that.
Even a lot of the posts on the library sites are not very useful. I don't care if people are going to meetings! I could see some limited benefits with short questions and posting links, but honestly I'm not interested in sifting through it all to get to the good stuff. I don't feel that applications such as these are all that practical for a small library such as ours. Some days we are simply too busy at the circ desk to have a chance to do something such as monitor a Twitter account.
No comments:
Post a Comment