Friday, April 4, 2014

Thing 6, Creating and Editing Docs

Not that many years ago I was the only person I knew of who had a pocket pc. I thought it was the coolest little device. It had some fun games, I was able to add a program and transfer my genealogy files to it so I didn't have to lug my books with me while researching. And with the help of a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I was able to type minutes for a group when I was secretary. When I got home, I could connect the pocket pc to my computer, make any adjustments I thought it needs, and then email the minutes out to others. Then my pocket pc became obsolete and I bought a laptop. Now the iPhone has entered the market and it is doing the same things and so many more (namely also being my phone). I downloaded the app for CloudOn. I liked the potential that I could have access to software that I am familiar with. I use Word, Excel and Power Point both at home and at work. I didn't like that I had to type with my Qwerty keyboard. I think a blue tooth device would make this so much easier. I did some searching and they cost anywhere from $70-$100. But I couldn't find a mouse to go with this setup, so it looks like you'd still have to be touching the screen. I tried creating both a Word document as well as a Power Point document. I found the apps run slowly (locking up) and wasn't too pleased with my efforts. I have a Dropbox acccount to share files with friends in a group I'm involved with. We are working on a new project, likely to be published as a book. The text files I could not open as they are Mac based and in Pages, but the JPEGs and TIFFs opened. How neat to have access to them on my phone! I opened a few of my documents and found that I did not like the look of the text, it was a little course, not as refined as if on a computer. This got me thinking about using Cloud storage to back up my files. When I tried to transfer my folder of photos I was told there wasn't room and that I'd need to upgrade. I did some research on this and it is a little off topic but still very related to our mobile digital world--Dropbox gives you 2GB of storage for free, you can get up to 100 GB of storage for $9.99/month. I found an article comparing Dropbox and Google Drive and other Cloud storage options. It relayed that the best deal and most storage is with Google Drive. You can have 15 GB of storage for free, and it costs only $2/month for 100 GB of storage.

No comments: