Friday, May 23, 2014

Thing 18 - Education

You guys really hooked me with the Education Thing! I downloaded 6 of the suggested apps! B-Rhymes is a simple app with rhyming words. If I were writing a poem that required a rhyme, or the Rhyming Game from Princess Bride, this app would be priceless. Outside of those uses it's just a list of rhyming words! Next I tried the Eat This Not That Game app. It's interesting, but seems to have just a limited number of questions to take you through. So overall, not such a great app. Fooducate is an app that I need to go shopping with! It looks interesting, but I didn't get too far in exploring it. I love looking at maps and thought I had used Google Earth before, but I don't think so! This is my favorite of the apps I looked at. I zoomed in on my ancestral villages in the Czech Republic, then typed in my address and got to fly across the ocean back home to Minnesota. This one is tops! I also tried Wikipedia--but it's simply the same database as online. I use it when I do Google searching, but it does have a limit to it's knowledge, so not as useful to me as an old fashioned Google search! Finally, I tried Project Noah. This one seems to also have a lot of potential! I found some Missions to follow-Critters of the Midwest, Minnesota Wildlife (Animals) and Minnesota Wildlife (Plants). I want to get out in the woods and start earning some patches! I'm an amatuer naturalist and this really hit home as a useful app. The field guide relies on submitted photos, though, so I tried to download an app from Cornell for a field guide--but it was too large so gave it up. My favorite of my tries was Google Earth followed by Project Noah!

No comments: