Sunday, March 23, 2008

Thing 12: Social Media Sites

Here are my thoughts as I start to look at the websites for this Thing.

Mixx: Ewww. It's like People magazine online, pop culture junk. Quicktime isn't loading properly so I have no picture, only sound. While exploring I found "get-trailers" and added to my Google Reader...

Digg: I'm a little more receptive to this site on first impression. They lead their page with a mix of news that I feel is relevant along with some pop culture stuff. The Tour points out that you CAN customize the stories you see...

Newsvine: Yes, I see why people aren't watching to news and reading the paper anymore, it's all here online. Newsvine doesn't seem so deeply steeped in pop culture as the previous two, there is a nice mix of topics to choose from including local, u.s. and world news, health, business, etc. By the way, how does it know my "local" news? Cookies?

Reddit: This one is the worst, it's a strain to view their text because of the font colors, little navigational help. The intro wouldn't open so I'm moving on.

I created an account in Newsvine, check it out. Once I found some articles to read this was kind of fun. But how would it work for my library? I don't see any way at this point... If you could find your way to library news and information this might be useful, otherwise I think it's a productivity detractor. I had never read a story as a result of these sites and probably never will again. Although curiousity may bring me back to see if anyone has commented on my posts...

No comments: