Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thing 4: Commentary on Flickr

Since I last posted I have taken some pictures at work with my digital camera, created a free Flickr account, and uploaded and tagged those images to Flickr. I've also posted some of those photos in a previous post for you viewing enjoyment!

I had previously had an account through Yahoo Photos, which closed last year and I was forced to choose a new home for them or loose them. I wasn't happy about that and the fear of losing another sites sits in the back of my head as I proceed with this project. They offered to transfer your photos to several sites, including Flickr, but I choose Shutterfly and have been very happy with the decision. I am able to get some quality prints through Shutterfly. Even did my Christmas photo card that way--I selected the card, added my image and comments, selected next day pickup at the nearest Target store, and was labeling and stamping envelopes the next night. So despite some hesitation from my past experiences, I truly know this is a great service with great potential.

It would be neat if my library created a Flickr page and could upload programming photos. This is something that our teen group would have fun with too... Now I intentionally took only photos with no one in them so I wouldn't have to worry about getting permission to post them here and on Flickr. It would be neat on a library page to show the many different ways that our library is used, such as the computers, the card catalog, the newspapers being read, etc.

I don't mind these library photos being public. Previously I had kept many of my Yahoo photos as view only and would likely continue that if I posted personal photos to a Flickr site...

No comments: